Sunday, August 22, 2010

New Tour, Same Home

Over the last few weeks, I went out and made up the dates I had to miss in July. This took me to Ruidoso and Las Cruces in New Mexico, and Midland/Odessa in Texas. As you all know, I'm terrified of driving, but over the course of 2700 miles, I seemed to settle down. I was a little nervous heading into Ruidoso, as I hadn't done a full night of my own material in 8 or 9 months, and I remembered the crowd there as being pretty attentive. Somehow it all came together, though. In fact, I felt a little extra surge, as maybe it had all built up. Some of these songs, it had been quite some time, it was exciting to actually play them again.

Maybe it helped that the drive out there looks basically like this:



Also helping wasthe added serenity I experienced all the way out there, having discovered this newfangled invention - the audiobook. Ahhh. My ears aren't dead after 20 hrs of driving an old Volvo.

Oh, speaking of long drives, that reminds me - I haven't yet mentioned the end of my tenure with Natalie Stovall and her band. Yes, it's true. All things must come to and end, and my memories are fond. We're all friends, I have little doubt we'll all work together in varying capacities in the months ahead. Certain paths seem to cross for a reason. I wish them all the best.

Sadly though, while they've filled the hole left by my departure, I haven't quite filled the ones of my own resulting from...their going back out on the road! I kind of got ZP into that gig with me, and with Miguel I kind of stumbled into the good fortune of having him on for a few gigs and recording sessions. One good thing about sharing musicians with the other band is that when it's your break time, it's their break time, too. But alas, they're back out getting paid again, and I've got work to do. I'm not sweating it, but I will offer a shout out: ZP, Jefe - you're both unique talents, as well as special guys. It'll never be the same, but...22-25!

A few weeks ago, we had a great show at 3rd & Lindsley, and were graced with Natalie's presence for a song as well... Note her exceptionally awesome hair on this night!







So now I'm working with my booking agent on filling up my fall and winter, and plugging away with the recordings for an eventual new record. Kim has been sweeter than ever. I've been under the weather all week, and spent a lot of time at home with Alaska listening to the radio and playing cat toy hockey. All in all, it's good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment